Lile Relocation Services Logo

How to Change Your Driver’s License After Moving to Seattle

The Steps to Change Your Driver’s License in Seattle

Moving to a new state involves many changes, including updating your driver’s license. If you’ve recently moved to Seattle, Washington, here’s a step-by-step guide to help you transition your out-of-state driver’s license to a Washington state license.

Gather Necessary Documents

Before heading to the Department of Licensing (DOL), make sure you have the following documents:

  1. Proof of Identity: Your current out-of-state driver’s license, passport, or other accepted form of ID can be used as proof of identity.
  2. Proof of Social Security Number: This can be your Social Security card, a W-2 form, or a pay stub.
  3. Proof of Washington Residency: Examples include utility bills, rental agreements, or bank statements showing your Washington address.
  4. Proof of Lawful Presence: Non-citizens must provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S.

Request a Quote

Make an Appointment to Visit a DOL Office

You must make an appointment to go into the office. Bring all of the following:

  • Proof of identity, including your out-of-state license
  • Payment for the driver licensing fee
  • Additional documents, if needed for EDL or name change

At the office, you’ll need to:

  • Tell us your Social Security number (SSN).
  • Pay fees (cash, check, or card).
  • Decide if you want to register to vote or become an organ donor (optional).
  • Pass any required driver tests.
    • Prepare for your test by reviewing the Washington State Driver Guide.

Complete an Application

At the DOL office, complete the driver’s license application form. You can save time by completing it online ahead of your visit and printing it out.

Pass Required Tests

Depending on your circumstances, you might need to pass a vision test, a knowledge test, and possibly a driving test. If your out-of-state license is still valid or expired within the last year, you may be exempt from the knowledge and driving tests.

Cars driving on the highway.

Receive Your License

Before you leave the licensing office, we’ll punch a hole in your out-of-state driver license or ID card and return it to you. You’ll get a temporary license that allows you to drive for 45 days. You probably won’t be able to use your temporary license for ID purposes. Some businesses may:

  • Accept your hole-punched out-of-state card for identification.
  • Ask you to provide something else for proof of ID.

They will mail your permanent license within 7–10 days.

List of DOL Offices near the Seattle Metro Area

Here are some DOL locations convenient to the Seattle metro area. Check here for each location for hours of operation:

Seattle-Queen Anne Office

  • Address: 405 3rd Ave. Suite 100 Seattle, WA 98119 (map)
  • Phone: (206) 464-6845

West Seattle Office

  • Address: 2420 SW Dakota St., Seattle, WA 98106 (map)
  • Phone: (206) 764-4144

Shoreline Office

  • Address: 15809 Westminster Way N., Shoreline, WA 98133 (map)
  • Phone: (425) 670-8375

Redmond Office

  • Address: 7225 170th Ave. NE, Redmond, WA 98052 (map)
  • Phone: (425) 649-4281

Lynnwood Office

  • Address: 18023 Hwy 99 N. Suite E, Lynnwood, WA 98037 (map)
  • Phone: (425) 672-3406
By following these steps and visiting one of these offices, you’ll be on your way to securing your Washington state driver’s license and fully settling into your new home in Seattle. Welcome to Seattle, and safe driving!
Are you preparing for a move? Contact us at 888-507-6304 or complete our online residential services quote form to set up a FREE in-home or virtual moving survey

Moving? We Can Help!

lile moving and storage company truck
northamerican quality award winner logo crest
Lile Relocation Services is a member of CSRT. CRST logo
Lile Relocation Services is a Woman-Owned Company. WOC logo
Lile Relocation Services is a member of the Office Moving Alliance. OMA logo
Certified Pro Mover logo
Lile Relocation Services is a member of the GSA. GSA logo