Tips for International Moving
International moving can be a daunting task and can cause a lot of stress, especially when you combine it with emigration. There are many things that need to be taken care of, such as obtaining a visa and work permit, finding a job, buying or renting a house, finding a new school for your children, preparing your pets for relocation, managing your taxes, opening a bank account, and obtaining health insurance. These are only the first steps in preparing to move abroad.
To help you better prepare for your international move, Lile Relocation Services has compiled a list of tips and recommendations that we have gathered from our clients and team of experts. The following international moving tips are designed to help you have a more carefree experience while moving:
Request a Quote
Top Tips for International Moving:
- Take your time during the preparation phase of your international move. This will give you the opportunity to make informed decisions.
- Secure your move early to save money. An early booking gives your mover the flexibility to plan and secure your desired date, which may also result in a better offer.
- Start tidying up and selecting what items you will take with you three to four months prior to your move. Packing certain items yourself is not recommended for international moves as this can lead to higher costs and delays.
- Good timing means booking your move with Lile Relocation Services two to three months in advance, but later bookings are also possible.
- The cost of an international move is determined by the volume, moving distance, and necessary administrative processes. The larger the amount and size of your goods, the more expensive it will be.
- The charges of an international move consist of packing and loading at the place of origin, transport of goods, delivering the goods at the destination, administrative support and coordination, choosing additional services like assembling and disassembling of furniture, (temporary) storage, the moving of pets, and other charges like inspection fees, parking permit charges, and local fees.
- Expertly trained professionals should do the packing and loading to avoid damaging your goods or residence.
- When it comes to transport, charges depend on the volume or weight of the goods that need to be moved. Moving within North America is generally done by truck, while sea transport is used for moves overseas. Distance also plays a role in determining transport charges.
How to save money on your international move:
- Minimize your load. While it may seem obvious, it’s important to sort through your belongings before moving. It’s common for items to be sold, discarded, or simply moved again in the same condition after a few years. By decluttering beforehand, you can save a lot of money on moving costs.
- Plan ahead. Starting early gives you more time to choose which items you want to bring with you. It also allows you to take advantage of early booking offers and secure the best moving date.
- DIY or get help. While some aspects of an international move may require professional assistance, there are many things you can do yourself or with the help of others. For instance, disassemble and reassemble furniture, and prepare your items for transportation. You may even choose to deliver them yourself to the moving company’s depot. However, we advise against packing, disassembling, and assembling items yourself for international as you will not be insured and may face additional customs checks. If you do decide to pack your own belongings, always do so in consultation with the moving company.
By following these tips, you can have a better experience while moving internationally. Proper planning and preparation can help to ease some of the stress and make the process smoother.
Are you preparing for a move? Contact us at 888-507-6304 or fill out our online residential services quote form to set up a FREE in-home or virtual moving survey.
Household Moving Resources
Lile understands that moving your belongings can be very stressful. Fortunately, you can count on our 60+ years of experience to get the job done. Get helpful residential moving tips from the full-service moving company you can trust.